Thursday, October 11, 2012

I like to be in control of things: Urmila Matondkar

Yet the actress insists she is the easiest person to work with

It's been almost four years since Urmila Matondkar last did a full-fledged Bollywood film. Having portrayed the sexy damsel in most of her films Urmila is at home, doing a feline voiceover for Nikhil Advani's animation film. The actress chats about why she has kept away from Bollywood over the past years and that nothing is permanent. Perhaps not even her absence.

Why don't we see you more often in films? 
With the kind of work I have done, I cannot be doing anything and everything that is offered to me. To keep on doing film after film hasn't been my prerogative ever, so why should I start now? 

This year has seen many comebacks from Bollywood leading ladies.
I have a problem with the word comeback. It is much abused in our industry. No on asks Meryl Streep if she was making a comeback with The Devil Wears Prada or even The Iron Lady...Each to his own, I guess.
Do you feel heroines today are getting more out of their films than before? 
Each era has its pros and cons. Some fantastic films are being made now while some others were made in the earlier days. There were certain characters and looks back then that many actresses today would dare not have attempted.

Is there any difference between Urmila then and Urmila now? 
No way! I am still the easiest person to work with. I never took my star status seriously. There is nothing permanent in this world and the sooner you realise that, the better. I still like to be in control of things.

What was it like giving voice for a leopard? 
She is strong. Since she is the queen of the jungle, she also has to be strong and overpowering.
So are you overpowering in real life as well? 
Nikhil told me that for the leopard's voice, he needed someone who naturally commands respect and is intimidating. I was wondering whether he was complimenting or criticising me!

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "I like to be in control of things: Urmila Matondkar"

Post a Comment