Friday, August 6, 2010

Amrita says : I am playing an OTT drama queen

Amrita says :  I am playing an OTT drama queenIn the past there have been Amrita Rao and Amrita Arora. Now in an ever growing list of actresses with a similar name.

The latest inclusion being Amruta Patki (who debuted in HIDE & SEEK) - the newest entrant has been Amrita Puri.

Self confessedly a 'Bombay Punjabi' girl, as she likes to term herself as, Amrita is making her debut with AISHA.

As the second leading lady in the film which is spearheaded by Sonam Kapoor, Amrita can't help smiling when she remembers some of the OTT (over the top) stuff that she had to indulge herself into while approaching the character of Shefali Thakur."

I play someone who just she loves attention," giggles Amrita, "There are moments when she just comes on the scene aur aate hi ek patakha phodh deti hai. Since the film is based on Delhi and its high society, she has to do something striking to get her fair deal of attention.

This also has to do with the fact that her character belongs to a small town called Bahadurgarh which is an hour long drive from Delhi." For a Mumbai girl who has seen a sophisticated lifestyle throughout her growing up years and has a good fashion sense, it was quite a challenge for Amrita to done a behenji persona.

"I had to work very hard, especially the diction since my Hindi is pretty much Bambaiyya Hindi", she continues, "I had to bring authenticity and believability in my character and for that I had to do a lot of workshops with my trainer Majushree. She helped me to understand the character, language, diction, the works.

I also practiced a lot with dad because he has lived in Chandigarh and hence is a far well versed Punjabi." No wonder, some of her favourite scenes from the film are those where she had to let her hair loose and just go with the flow while following the conviction of her director Rajshree Ojha.

"The character of Shefali Thakur that I play in the film has a lot of moments," says Amrita, "She has quite a few punch-lines and moreover indulges into a lot of drama. One can call her an OTT drama queen due to her antics." Recollecting a scene, Amrita reveals, "I don't want to give away the story but in the film there is a scene where I drown and then get saved. You have to see the kind of drama that follows.

It is so funny as I start screaming from the top of my lungs and mouth declarations as if this was a matter of life and death. You have to see the film to gauge the fun that follows. This character just likes to be in limelight."
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Amrita says : I am playing an OTT drama queen"

Post a Comment