Thursday, July 5, 2012

What catfights? Ileana and I are really good friends now

What catfights? Ileana and I are really good friends now
Ranbir Kapoor has turned deaf-and-mute, while Priyanka Chopra has become mentally challenged for Anurag Basu’s Barfi. Sreya Basu in conversation with the actors in Mumbai 


Ranbir, why is your character called Barfi in the film? 
Ranbir: Actually the character is called Murphy. But since he is a deaf-mute, he pronounces his name as Barfi … he can’t differentiate between ‘M’ and ‘B’. He is a happy-go-lucky guy, he has a big heart and the film is certainly a romantic comedy. Barfi’s only purpose in life is to make people happy. Even in his sorrows, you will see a sense of smile, comedy and happiness.

Priyanka, you have always been very excited about Barfi… 
Priyanka: Barfi for me has been a film with a billion emotions. It’s a very special film for me but at the same time I am very scared and nervous about it. However, it is a film that will reside in my heart for a very, very long time and I want to thank everyone who thought I was capable of playing Jhilmil. 

Don’t you think the film is showing too many disabilities for the audiences to handle at one go? 
Ranbir: I would request you not to associate the film with disabilities. It is not about that. It is a coincidence that the two characters in the film are challenged … one is deaf-and-mute and another is autistic. But you will never feel it is a film about disabilities. It is a film about enjoying life, receiving and giving happiness. Above all, it is a love story. 


But fact remains that the leads in the film are challenged people. 

Ranbir: The specialty of the film is that all the disabilities shown in the film will not hamper you from enjoying it. We are playing normal characters. PC (Priyanka Chopra) is playing an autistic girl, but you will find her like a puppy dog … a beautiful puppy dog … whom you will fall in love with. 

How difficult was it to play such roles?
Ranbir: When Dada (Anurag Basu) narrated the script to me, I thought I will have to do a lot of character work for it. But he was very clear. He said this is not a film to show off your acting ability, or to showcase you are such a method actor. He wanted us to be relatable. 

Priyanka: I also thought playing Jhilmil would be difficult. It was difficult initially. But Anurag Sir made such an environment at the sets that it became easy for me. My heart still goes out to Jhilmil, she is a special character. I just hope you all will like her.

Priyanka, how is your quotient with co-actor Ileana D'Cruz. Were there catfights on the sets?
Priyanka: Ileana and I have become really good friends after Barfi.


Priyanka, tell us about you interest in photography.

Priyanka: That’s why I am the brand ambassador of Nikon for the last one-and-a-half years (Laughs). However it was coincidental that when Nikon came to me with the offer, it was at the same time that I decided to take up photography and bought a D90 (camera). 

Now that I am the brand ambassador of the company, it has enhanced my desire to learn photography, I appreciate pictures a lot more. I am a complete gadget freak. I literally get into dismantling my cameras and getting to know what every feature is.

Do you believe in racing to the top in Bollywood?
Priyanka: It is important to be Number 1 in everything you do. Everybody wants to be an achiever, to achieve the best that they can.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "What catfights? Ileana and I are really good friends now"

Post a Comment