Tuesday, August 21, 2012

British actor keen on Bollywood costume drama


After watching a few Bollywood movies and working in Indian-origin filmmaker Prashant Nair's movie "Delhi In A Day", British actor Lee Williams says he would jump at the offer of a typical Bollywood affair, preferably a costume drama.

"I would love to do a Bollywood movie. I listened to a lot of Bollywood music and watched quite a few films before I left for Delhi (to shoot)," Lee told in an email interview.

"If I get an opportunity to be in one, it would be amazing. I believe I'm quite a good dancer and singer, so if an offer comes up I would definitely be on the first plane to India," he added.

Lee has a part in "Delhi In A Day", a Hindi-English dark comedy about the nouveau riche in the national capital, and their extravagant lifestyle.

In "Delhi In...", the 38-year-old plays Jasper, an idealistic British boy, who leaves his job back in London to embark on a six-month long trip around the world to try and find himself. His first stop is Delhi where he plans to stay with some old family friends before heading off on his journey.

Sharing screen space with veteran Indian actors Victor Banerjee, Lillete Dubey and Kulbhushan Kharbanda was an unforgettable experience for Lee.

"My experience of working with the cast and crew was amazing. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and they made my time there as enjoyable as possible.

"It was tough though being the only western person. No matter how friendly everyone was, there were moments when I felt very alone. I loved India so much, Delhi is a crazy place but it was an amazing opportunity," he said.

A former model, he wants to taste more of Bollywood now.

"I would love to come back and do more Indian movies, maybe something a bit more epic next time, perhaps a costume drama would be fun," he added.

Releasing Friday, "Delhi In..." is a 90-minute-long film. The film has done well in the international festival circuit, and is being released here by PVR Director's Rare and Blue Line Media.

Born and brought up in Wales, Lee began his career as a model in London. He walked for top fashion brands Dolce & Gabbana and Versace in Paris, Milan, Tokyo and New York.

After modelling, he went to drama school, where he got several opportunities to audition as an actor.

Recalling his journey, he said: "I have now been acting for about 15 years, so when someone mentions that I used to be a model, it seems like such a long time ago that I kind of forget that I actually did that."

Lee has worked in TV shows, films and did a lot of theatre. But the transition from a model to an actor was not too difficult for him.

"To me, modelling and acting have no relation. Any model, who thinks modelling is like acting is mistaken. It's usually the ones who can't act who liken the two. Over the last 15 years I have trained to be an actor, to perfect my craft and technique," said the actor, who has also done ad campaigns for CK Jeans and Trussardi.

Lee, who went to London-based Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, is currently working on his own art exhibition.

Besides that, he is working on writing a TV. After wrapping up work on "Delhi In A Day", Lee indulged in a lot of theatre.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "British actor keen on Bollywood costume drama"

Post a Comment