Monday, October 22, 2012

The man who taught India how to love is no more. Bollywood mourns!

Veteran Bollywood filmmaker Yash Chopra passes away on Sunday at the age of 80 after suffering from organ failure

Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra breathed his last at Lilavati Hospital on Sunday, a hospital spokesperson said. He was 80. 

Chopra, who was suffering from dengue, died of multiple organ failure.

He is survived by wife Pamela and two sons Aditya and Uday. While Aditya is also a filmmaker, Uday is an actor. 

`He died of multi-organ failure. He was in the ICU, ` said a hospital official.

Chopra was admitted to the hospital Oct 13.

A part of Yashji will always be with me: SRK

The sudden demise of veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra has left superstar Shah Rukh Khan bereaved. He describes it as a personal loss, and says he will always keep a part of the filmmaker in his heart

'Whenever my loved ones depart, I feel a part of me extinguishes itself with them. Will there come a day that I will no longer have a bit of myself to let go of? And then the thought follows ... that every time they have taken some of me with them onto their last journey, I have found a fragment of them left inside me too.

'I will always have some love to give and I will always be both emptied and replenished by the loved ones I lose. I keep u with me Yashji and I miss u too Yashji ... lots,' Shah Rukh posted on his Facebook page. 

Shah Rukh was special for Chopra, who directed the actor in movies like 'Darr' (1993), 'Dil To Pagal Hai' (1997) and 'Veer-Zaara' (2004). Chopra's last directorial 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan', which will hit the screens Nov 13, also features Shah Rukh.
The actor was like family to him - sharing the joys and sorrows. No wonder he rushed to the Lilavati Hospital as soon as the news of Chopra's death was announced.

In fact, Shah Rukh also chose to leave his car and sit in the same vehicle which transported Chopra's body from the hospital to the filmmaker's residence. The actor had a warm conversation with Chopra on the latter's 80th birthday in September.

Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt called Chopra's death a huge loss to Bollywood. 

`My brother Mukesh Bhatt called me at 6.30 pm and was crying. He gave me the news that Yashji is no more. He was very close to him. It is a sad demise and a huge loss, ` said Mahesh. 
Chopra is known for having given blockbuster films like Silsila, Chandni, Lamhe and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. 

The veteran filmmaker was busy shooting for his last directorial venture Jab Tak Hai Jaan. 

The film is slated for a Diwali release Nov 13 and will see Shah Rukh Khan romancing Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif. 

He will be cremated today at Chandanwadi crematorium.

Body of work
As a director, Yash Chopra made 22 movies in his career that spanned across 5 decades:
>> Dhool ka Phool (1959)
>> Dharmaputra (1961)
>> Waqt (1965)
>> Admi aur Insaan (1969)
>> Ittefaq (1969)
>> Daag (1973)
>> Joshila (1973)
>> Deewar (1975)
>> Kabhi Kabhie (1976)
>> Trishul (1978)
>> Kaala Patthar (1979)
>> Silsila (1981)
>> Mashaal (1984)
>> Faasle (1985)
>> Vijay (1988)
>> Chandni (1989)
>> Lamhe (1991)
>> Parampara (1992)
>> Darr (1993)
>> Dil Toh Pagal Hai (1997)
>> Veer Zaara (2004)
>> Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012)

Mourning the loss of the King of Romance

From Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan to Sridevi and Madhuri Dixit, a grief-stricken Bollywood took to Twitter to express their sentiments and said he will be missed a lot.

Shattering, hard to accept. Yash was more than a friend, a brother. I am numb and have no words to express my grief 
- Dilip Kumar 

Yash Chopra passes away... Just now a hour ago.
- Amitabh Bachchan
Just as I was getting over the grief of my daughter, my brother Yash Chopra Bhaisaab has left me. Sad year.
- Asha Bhosle

With Yash Chopra ends the age of innocence and lyricism of Hindi Cinema. Now is the age of angst
- Shekhar Kapur

Today I understand the phrase 'The end of an era'.
- Farhan Akhtar

Yashji!!!! How could you go? On your 80th birthday we wished for you to make 80 more films.. It's heartbreaking.
- Shabana Azmi

The man who taught the country how to fall in love passes away - you will always be with us through your work
- Riteish Deshmukh

The legendary romantic, the poet of evergreen love, the magician who created the greatest love stories... RIP Yash Uncle
- Vivek Oberoi
I'm in shock and numb, can't believe the news, the man who immortalised love, Mr. Yash Chopra is no more. May his soul rest in peace.
- Akshay Kumar

Human relations will never be the same on indian screen.. The way he portrayed, nobody did, nobody could.. Suppose nobody ever will.
- Anurag Basu
Respect, love and admiration for Yashji and his legacy...
- AR Rahman
We lost the iconic, inspiring n always smiling Yash Chopra today. Saddened and shocked by this news. He will be missed forever.
- Bipasha Basu
Jab tak tha yash tab tak tha cinema
- Ram Gopal Varma
Deeply saddened by the shocking news of Yashji passing away, he was full of warmth & affection whenever we met, he will be missed forever.
- Sridevi
Just got the news that Yashji passed away. He was one of the giants of cinema. My deepest condolences to his family. We will all miss him.
- Madhuri Dixit
All I ever really knew of Hindi films began with Yash uncles brand of cinema. RIP Yash Chopra ji. Will miss you terribly.
- Lara Dutta
Just heard the tragic news of Yash uncle passing away. The epitome of Romance a great man...will miss him dearly. R.I.P Yash Uncle.
Shilpa Shetty
Yash Uncle we will miss you. May god give peace to your soul. R. I. P.
- Preity Zinta

Terrible, terrible news. R.I.P. Yashji.
- Rahul Bose

Yashji is no more with us in this world. numbed to hear this just when I arrive in Mumbai. What a loss! May you rest in peace Yashji.
- Manoj Bajpayee

I'm shocked and saddened by the loss of Hindi Cinema's legend - Yash ji. romance in cinema will always be incomplete without u. RIP.
- Madhur Bhandarkar

Heartbroken. I just met him a few days back during the trial of SOTY. God bless his soul. RIP Yashji.
- Shekhar Ravijani

"In absolute shock to hear about Yashji! The King of Romance, he made us all fall in love with the magic of movies. May his soul RIP. Prayers.`
- Sophie Choudry
`Shocked and saddened by the death of yash ji. My heart goes out to his family - he touched so many lives both personally and through cinema.`
- Soha Ali Khan

`RIP yashji thankyou for the magic.`
- Shruti Haasan
`Very sad to hear about Yashji. He was such an affectionate and kind person.. So big hearted and forever smiling. RIP, the King of Romance.`
- Mandira Bedi

`Yash Chopra ; (#legend`
- Gul Panag
`I just can't believ that the king of romance yash chopra just passed away..shocking n immensely painful news.`
- Ameesha Patel

`RIP Yash ji. The real heartbeat of Indian cinema halts this day. Thank you sir for filling the romantic void on the celluloid. #immortal.` 
- Ayushmann Khurrana

`RIP Yash Chopra ji.`
- Ayesha Takia Azmi
`Mr. Yash Chopra..a legend of love and love stories passes away : (my condolences to all his loved ones. Deeply saddened. Rest in Peace Sir..`
- Sushmita Sen

`Yash Chopra saab was a living legend in the truest sense of the word, and yet, such a cool guy! Was an honour to have met you, Sir. RIP.`
- Vishal Dadlani

`If you asked him for a favor, he would be the one following it up. Then when you thanked him, he would fend it off with a joke..everytime!!!`
- Boman Irani

`My first director : (remember the way he pampered me as a child in VIJAY. Worked for him. I love him truly. An inspiration FOREVER ! : (: (`
- Neil Nitin Mukesh
`Rip yashji. #jabtakhaijaan.`
- Sonam Kapoor

Yashji made me a lyricist

Javed Akhtar talks about his long and warm friendship with Yash Chopra

I worked for the first time with Yashji in Deewar and it turned out to be one of the most memorable films that we ever did together. Salim saab and I first met him when he was doing a film with Gulshan Rai and he promised to do a film with us. That was almost 40 years ago, and we did Deewar in 72-73. 

However, it was during Trishul when we went to Delhi to write the script with him when we became close friends. That's when I realised that he was so entertaining.
He was a complete foodie and Salimsaab, him and I shared a lot during that trip. That man had a great sense of humour too. 

In fact, he was the one who encouraged me to take up lyric writing. Not many people know that Yashji was the one who actually made me a lyricist with Silsila. He literally pushed me to write my first song 'dekha ek khwab to yeh silsile huye'. 

The news of his demise is shocking not only for me, but everyone in the film industry. He was totally full of life and I guess everyone who has worked with him must be extremely sad today. His film 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' is about to release and we are all sure that the film will be a huge success, but he won't be around to enjoy it.
I have some fond memories of him. We have after all done many successful films like Kala Patthar and Silsila with him. I have also written lyrics for his film 'Veer Zaara'.

Even when we were not working together, we used to always meet with a lot of warmth. He was an extremely lively person and we will all remember him for his masterpieces like Deewar, Kabhi Kabhi, Trishul, Lamhe etc.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "The man who taught India how to love is no more. Bollywood mourns!"

Post a Comment