Tuesday, August 20, 2013

BA Pass proves it: Sex Sells

It was Neha Dhupia who had famously said that sex and Shah Rukh Khan are the two operative aspects of the Bollywood box office.

Director Ajay Bahl seems to have got the fundas right in his debut film. B A Pass got rave reviews and a sizeable audience.

Says the director, I guess the sexual theme of my film managed to get it noticed. Also, we came a week ahead of Shah Rukh Khan's Chennai Express, so I guess some of his success rubbed off on us.

Critics have praised B A Pass except for a few who have criticized the film's love-making scenes. 
I could have gone a few steps ahead with the sex. I could have made the love-making scenes more explicit. One critics has complained about Shilpa Shukla keeping her clothes on while making love. 

Shilpa is a thorough professional. She would have gone topless if I had asked her to. But finally we were making a film for Indian audiences. And a lot of Indians like to make love with their clothes on,  observes the auteur director. 

His next film could be based on his own struggle to direct a film. Ajay sold off his property to collect funds for B. A Pass. I had no choice. For 7 years I went from door to door to producers with my script. That I was a recognized DOP (cinematographer) in the film industry didn't really help my cause. 

Two corporate houses said yes to Ajay and then backed out at the last minute  I had no choice. I either funded my own dreams, or given up on them. I am looking happily at the progress of B A Pass. It seems to have pleased critics and viewers. It's a dark film. But why do we shun darkness? Isn't it as seductive as light, and certainly more mysterious? wonders Ajay. 
His live-in girlfriend Avantika who is not much of a movie buff liked B A Pass. She is more into literature. I think the fact that B A Pass is based on a short story got her interested.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "BA Pass proves it: Sex Sells"

Post a Comment