Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Musically Yours - Shruti Haasan

With parents like Kamal Haasan and Sarika, there was never any doubt that Shruti Haasan would make a career in cinema.

However, people were surprised when she first showed her musical side, composing and singing for films and then made her acting debut.

In this special feature of Musically Yours, we talk to Shruti about how it all started for her in the world of music.

Early Days "I started singing at a very early age though it was mainly for fun. I've been singing.

Since the age of 5 but took up professional training only much later. During my school days.

I was really bad at Maths. My scores in Maths were so low that I was given an option of dropping Maths for Music or Arts.

I chose Music and began learning Hindustani Classical Music. Hence, I say that I stumbled into singing completely by mistake."

My Gurus of Music "I started learning music professionally when I was 14. My Guruji in Chennai is Pandit Manohar Kulkarni.

He is really popular there. Besides I also learnt a lot about music and singing from Suresh Wadkarji in Mumbai."

First Break "Strange as it may sound, my first singing assignment was at the age of 6. Though I was raw and untrained, I sang a song in my dad's Tamil film Thevar Magan The song was composed by Ilaiyaraaja Sir. After that I got a chance to sing in a lot of Tamil films.

I remember Ilaiyaraaja Sir calling me to sing a few lines here and there in quite a few films. My first Hindi song was in Chachi 420 and later I also sang in another of dad's films Hey Ram. That way I guess I am blessed to have got a break pretty early in life."

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Musically Yours - Shruti Haasan"

Post a Comment