Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shilpa Shetty's club hosts party, locals protest

Bandra resident Tanvir Nizam is up in arms against the revival of the nightclub, Poison, on Waterfield Road.

“My son had viral fever and I couldn’t take him to the hospital because of a party organised at the club,” said Nizam.

The nightclub, to be re-christened The Royalty, is run by actor Shilpa Shetty’s husband Raj Kundra, in partnership with Prashant Gunjalkar.

Though the club is yet to be inaugurated, Gunjalkar had thrown a bash for IPL players on Sunday.

“I couldn’t take my car out as my building entrance was blocked by vehicles. I had to carry my son in my arms,” said Nizam.

Matters took an ugly turn when Nizam confronted one of the bouncers, insisting that he move the cars.

“He was misbehaving with me. I finally called the police,” Nizam said. After hearing the story, a policeman slapped the bouncer.

“The bouncer was acting funny,” an officer from Bandra police station said. When contacted, Gunjalkar told DNA:

“We have our licences in place and we had taken permission to throw a party.”

However, the incident has revived the protest against the nightclub. “They cannot have a nightclub in a residential area,” said Manuella Saldanha, secretary, Revival Citizen’s group. “The club is in a basement. If 150 people come here in their cars, where will they park?

What about the inconvenience caused to the residents?” The H(West) Federation will file a PIL on behalf of residents against other pubs on Waterfield Road. “They should find a special zone for the clubs,” said Anandini Thakoor, president, H(West) Federation.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Shilpa Shetty's club hosts party, locals protest"

Post a Comment